SC - Small fish in a big List

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Jan 8 08:07:52 PST 1998

> Unfortunately, many
> of the posts in my digests are running gags which properly belong in the
> private mail. Many are emotional outbursts to percieved slights. Many are
> "me too" messages. Many quote previously published posts in full, including
> all the unsubscribe messages tacked on at the end. Some days I spend hours
> going through digests, with very little content to show in the end.

I try to keep a close watch on matters and if things begin to stray I try to
put them on notice. Actually there isn't a whole lot of bad stuff that goes on.
Flames are usually killed internally within a couple of posts. Some running
jokes and personal stuff does go on but I feel that is more for building
community so I allow it. If it becomes too much or too obscure I ask for it to
be stopped either publicly or privately.

I do agree, and this has been mentioned a couple of times before, that replies
should be trimmed to only the pertinent facts being replied to. If your server
does not allow this then make references to a remark and try not to repost
everything.  Also, please cut off any the subscription information at the
bottom of replies.

Please reconsider some of the messages that are posted and maybe send them
as a pm instead.

> Aoife---guilty of verbosity, too.

Yers,

Gunthar