SC - camp ovens

David Friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Jan 6 09:00:53 PST 1998

I know of at least two types of period ovens, and (when I get back home)
can probably find pictures for one of them.

1. Islamic. The Tanur (same word from which we get modern Indian
"Tandoori"). Think of a large clay vessel, perhaps partly buried in the
ground. Heat with a fire inside, then replace fire with food.

2. Standard medieval oven. Roughly speaking a clay beehive, possibly with
bricks as the underlying structure. Again, you heat it by making a fire
inside, sweep out the fire, put in the food.  A number of people I know
have made versions of this for SCA purposes--Marion of Edwinstowe, in the
long gone days, ran a medieval cookshop (the Sated Tyger) at Pennsic, using
two such ovens as well as fires. Her only modern equipment consisted of
(concealed) refrigerators.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/