SC - Re: Whipping Cream

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 9 15:21:32 PST 1998

Brandu wrote:

>To return to topic though, Does anyone have any Ideas when whipping
>egg whites and/or cream started?   I would like to know how pound cake
>was done in period, if whipped whites were not a technique. I have in
>mind a dessert with whipped cream, fruit compote, and a base of sponge
>or pound cake.

I haven't seen any evidence that what we know of as pound cake was done
in period.  It seems to be a creation of post-period times.  Things
were whipped but meringue-y type egg whites only show up very late and
not, generally, the way we expect them to be.  I think it was this list
that had the discussion of "snow" which at first appeared to be whipped
egg whites but ended up having a lot more stuff in it.

Alys Katharine