SC - OOP-How to carbonate beverages

Rodney K Zeigler zeig0006 at tc.umn.edu
Fri Jan 9 21:46:00 PST 1998

In the words of Puck:

> could it be a result of the carbon atom reacting differently thanthe
> nitrogen?  (straining to remember my Navy Damage control training as well
> as chemistry)

Kinda sorta. The CO2 would react with the water in the milk to form H2CO3,
or carbonic acid. This would both lend a sour taste to the product and
speed up decomposition of the milk into lactic acid (icky poo). NO is, for
food-service purposes, pretty close to inert, so it is a much better
choice.

Kent (Is an SCA-Chemists list far behind?)