SC - Onion Soups

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Jan 11 03:26:15 PST 1998

I didn't keep the originals, hence don't remember the details, but I
know there was some discussion recently of onion soup.  Someone (I
think) wanted to know if there were any onion soups based on a meat
stock, and there was also some lively debate about "French"
onion soups taopped with bread and cheese.  Here is a translation of
a recipe from the 1528 edition of the "Libro de Guisados".  I have
not tried redacting this one (I'm a better researcher than cook, I'm
afraid), but if anyone would like to play with it, please do.

Potage of Onions Which They Call "Cebollada"

Take peeled onions which are well washed and clean and cut them in
thick slices, and cast them in a pot of boiling water, and then
having let them come to a boil once or twice, take them out of the
pot and press them between two wooden chopping boards and them fry
them gently with good fatty bacon or with bacon grease, stirring with
a little shovel and moving it about in the frying pan with the
aforementioned little shovel which should be of wood.  And if the
onions dry up, cast in some good fatty mutton broth until the onions
are well cooked.  And then take almonds which are well peeled and
white and grind them well in a mortar and then dissolve them in
good mutton broth and pass them through a woolen strainer and then
cast the almond milk in the pot with the onions and mix it well, and
cook them well until the onions are cooked in the almond milk, and
cast good grate cheese from Aragon in the pot, and stir well with a
stirrer as if they were gourds, and when they are well mixed with the
cheese and you see that it is cooked, prepare dishes, first casting
into the pot a pair of egg yolks for each dish, and upon the dishes
cast sugar and cinnamon if you wish; and it is good.
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net