SC - Feast Fruit - Medlar

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at vr-net.com
Sun Jan 11 20:53:27 PST 1998

>>This menu is still rather tentative. One thing you'll notice is the
>>absence of the fairly typical medieval dried fruit dish. I may correct
>>this.
>
>Go ahead. Add some dried fruit. It's so good for you. Besides, I love
>dried fruit! :-)

   Something I haven't seen anyone talk about serving is bletted Medlar
fruits.  I have read in several sources that this fruit was very popular in
Medival times.  I know of a nursery where you can order the young trees, but
I don't know how long it takes them to grow to maturity.  I've never had the
opportunity to taste one myself, but I am very curious.  If I ever get my
own land, I hope to plant some of these so I can have an opportunity to try
them.
   You can order a catalog from OREGON EXOTICS for $4 from 1065 Messinger
Road, Grants Pass, OR 97527 or call 541-846-7578.  One Medlar tree is $18.
And there is information on history and harvesting in the catalog.

- -Laurene
- -
*                                          The Tiny Zoo, inc.
*
*
*
*                                         Visit our Web Site!
*
*                            http://www.vr-net.com/~tinyzoo
*