SC - Brandy

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Thu Jan 15 05:57:35 PST 1998

At 05:15 PM 1/14/98 PST, you wrote:
>> I have _concentrated_ mead by freezing (which is legal, while
>> distillation for non-fuel purposes is _not_!)
>
>Actually, no.  As was recently discussed on the distilling list, and then
>researched in our newly stolen, I mean borrowed, copy of 27CFR, ther's just
>no way around the distilling laws.  You can ferment, you can't hot, cold,
>anyways distill.

Hmmm....then the ATF agent with which I sat down a couple of months ago
didn't know what he was talking about.  His statements, in brief, were that
there was no evaporation and re-condensation, and therefore freezing and
removing the water ice was not in fact distillation.  He hauled out _his_
copy of the aforementioned document and pointed to some legalese.  I didn't
read it, but took him at his word and went happily on my way.  (Since he's
the local guy (relatively speaking) who would most likely be busting my
chops for doing it, and he said not to worry, who am I to disagree?)  I
have heard the same from another who asked (via telephone), in Ohio IIRC;
he received the same answer, which was posted on the Midrealm B&V list.

"Curiouser and curiouser", said Alice.
Eoin