SC - Fw: [Mid] Feasts

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jan 15 14:59:22 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/15/98 1:11:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
phlip at morganco.net writes:

<< Here's an interesting commentary from non-cooks (middlebridge) relating to
 what people like and dislike in a feast. Comments, anyone? >>

Outside of the apparent lack of actual period foods in the list such as
tartes, salats, custardes, lombards, stewes, etc., I took peculiar notice of
the fact that several dishes such as honeyed carrots and honey butter were
mentioned.  Since most cooks are really rather tired of the "same old" these
items have been popping up less often in Aethelmearc.  Admittedly our shire at
least serves both honey and herbed butters and, yes we are more times than not
forced to do the "sweet carrot thingy"., It is a back by popular demand
situation and other vegetable dishes such as fried cabbage, spinach, and
turnips are almost always given priority by the cooks.

The barley dish sounds a whole lot like the end result of frumenty but could
have been caused by too much barley to liquid or an overburdened court
delaying dinner.

I am curious as to what foods that flop means.....if fish then this gentle is
unusual in liking fish at a feast. If something else, I can't figure it out. \

All in all, I would say that the individual who posted this has not been
exposed to an actual period feast often or those they were exposed to were not
memorable other than the modern dishes sited by the author. Invite them to a
well-cooked completely period feast  sometime and I'm sure they will not be
disappointed with the opportunity to expand their feast food likes
considerably. :-)

Just my .02.

Ras