SC - Steppes 12th Night Report

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jan 16 09:27:52 PST 1998

> For next time:  if you are going to have a policy (which I consider a
> properly hospitable policy, if you can swing it) of feeding everyone who
> shows up, it helps to (1) go to some lengths to get a good count in
> advance--ask your friends in all the local groups to take a count of who is
> definitely/probably/maybe coming, for example; and (2) have contingency
> plans.

Thank you for the advice. Actually, I had done most of the things you mentioned.
I have taken part in several of the past 12th Nights so we had a pretty good
approximation, 12th Night here usually averages 300-350 and is pretty well
attended. Since a couple of Circles, two Laurelings, and a Kingdom A&S were
planned I upped the count by 50 since I felt that most people who would attend
these things are usually the people who attend 12th Night anyway.

Also, as I said, I felt I could comfortably handle another 50 above my extended
count.

> You might have a shopping list for 50 extra people and another for
> 100 extra people already thought out so that you can send somebody out for
> the ingredients for some filling, quick, and easy dish you can add to the
> feast if necessary, and/or for extra cheese, bread, and fruit you can add
> for almost no work.

We did something similar. When the count reached 500, I got 15 lbs of pasta and
threw it into the broth left from the Citrus Chicken. I came out very tasty.
One of the good things about this feast was that I had several smaller dishes
served so that all I had to do was add another to make sure everyone was covered.
Another thing we did was to cut all the tarts into 10 pieces instead of 8.

> You may also want to have extra servers lined up ("I
> don't think I will need you, but can I count on you if we have a real
> crowd?") and maybe extra assistant cooks or scullions.

The lack of servers is what really hurt this feast in the main case. I guess I
should have called for people from the tables to come forward but I'd hoped to
avoid that. I had no lack of help in the kitchen, thankfully.

> There is also the
> question of where you put people--is there a side room you can put a few
> more tables in, are there a few more tables you can put in it, are there
> serving dishes you can put on the tables?

I really didn't bother with where the people were sitting. That was up to the
Event Stewards to worry about. They did run out of tables, I'm told.

All of this stuff is easier to
> deal with if you consider it in advance rather than when you are in the
> middle of running a kitchen cooking the biggest feast you have ever done
> (and I have never done one that size!).

I've done a few that big now. This was 500, last year I did a Coronation for 475,
I've also done 300-350. Usually if I get to cook for less than 200 it's on our
site that has no water, electricity, or shelter. (Why couldn't my talents have been
in sewing?) I would love to do a nice intimate dinner for 200 with a real kitchen.

Once again, thank you for your lovely words and knowledge.

> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

Yers,

Gunthar