SC - 12th Night Recipes - Capon w/Orange or Lemon sauce

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jan 16 10:34:55 PST 1998

Okay this will be my last recipe unless someone wants something specific.
I'll post my menu and some commentary on the other dishes later.

This dish was also very popular.

Capon w/Orange or Lemon Sauce
>From "A Taste of History: 10,000 Years of Food in Britan"

This recipe is adapted from Thomas Dawson: "The Good Housewife's Jewell" and
dates from the Tudor period.

1 Capon or chicken				1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1 pint chicken stock				1 tsp mace
2 oz currants					3 T. mace
4 dates						1 T. rosewater
about 8 oz oranges, mandarins, lemons		1/2 pint white wine
8 oz white bread, cut into large crustless cubes

Put the chicken in a pan, cover with water and boil until tender (45 minutes is
sufficient). Drain 1 pint stock from the bird and simmer for 5 minutes with the
currants, dates, and fruit (peeled & divided into segments). Then add the remaining
ingredients (white wine being preferable when using lemons). Simmer for a further
5-10 minutes and pour over the bird arrainged on a bed of bread cubes in a large
dish.

NOTES:

I couldn't find currants, so I just used raisins.
We used nice navel oranges. Not period but simpler.

We poached boneless/skinless chicken thighs and used the poaching liquid for the
sauce. We made the sauce and then threw in the thighs to absorb the liquid and
warm on the feast day.

This was not served over the bread cubes since I already had so many "bread" dishes
planned. This was simply served plain as just the chicken pieces and a couple
slices of the orange.

Very nice dish.

Yers,

Gunthar