SC - Pasties in Period?

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Jan 16 18:31:42 PST 1998

>To keep this from being a total waste of time, does anyone have a fairly
>period recipe for pasties or were they OOP ?
>
>Elisande de Citeaux

The ever-popular Forfar Bridies are definately OOP. They contain potato, and
besides were invented in the 1870s by a Baker called Mr. Jolly! They were
called Bridies because they were the simple sort of thing a young bride
could easily add to her repertoire.

Cornish pasties I am not so sure about, although I do know that they were
extremely popular with the factory workingmen of Cornwall, and the Pasties
would be marked with an initial so that if the fellows couldn't eat them all
(circumferance was marked with a dinner plate---they were huge!), they could
be claimed later.

Meat has been put in pastry for quite some time in history. Big meat pies
are definately "in period". Individual ones I am not so certain about. The
trouble is that they would have been picnic fare or food for field hands,
and so not likely to have made it into a cookbook intill very late period if
at all. I guess the question is whether, if they DID exist in period, they
had that particualr "pasty" shape or not in period (shape: fold a circle in
half. Fill it. Crimp edges heavily. Turn and push the pasty so that the
crimp is over the top of the pasty. Brush with beaten egg. Bake). I haven't
seen directions for a hand-held pie recipe with a shortcrust in the
half-moon shape, but who knows? Perhaps someone could find one in late
period, if they had enough time to browse the many many sources. Sorry, but
at the moment I don't.

Aoife---who is making a life-sized bull calf soteltie this weekend modelled
on the pillar capitals of the Ancient Persian 100-pillar hall, for our new
Zaroastrian Baron's investiture next weekend. But he's too cute, I may have
to keep him. I had thought of a Persian Miniature (scenes painted in
miniature) with a short-bread tablet-type base and the picture cut out of
colored fruit leathers and assembled like a collage. I wonder if I still
have time for that? Tempus fugit, y'know.