SC - Pasties in Period?

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri Jan 16 19:41:58 PST 1998

>>To keep this from being a total waste of time, does anyone have a fairly
>>period recipe for pasties or were they OOP ?
>>
>>Elisande de Citeaux

<snip>

Aoife said:
> I guess the question is whether, if they DID exist in period, they
>had that particualr "pasty" shape or not in period (shape: fold a circle in
>half. Fill it. Crimp edges heavily. Turn and push the pasty so that the
>crimp is over the top of the pasty. Brush with beaten egg. Bake). I haven't
>seen directions for a hand-held pie recipe with a shortcrust in the
>half-moon shape, but who knows? Perhaps someone could find one in late
>period, if they had enough time to browse the many many sources. Sorry, but
>at the moment I don't.

Hello!  Ask and ye shall receive:

Harleian MS. 279 - Dyuerse Bake Metis  (c. 1430)
x.  Rapeye.  Take Dow, & make [th]er-of a brode [th]in cake; [th]en take
Fygys & Roysonys smal y-grounde, & fyrst y-sode, An a pece of Milwelle or
lenge y-braid with-al; & take pouder of Pepir, Galyngale, Clowe[3], & mence
to-gedere, & ley [th]in comede on [th]e cake in [th]e maner of a benecodde,
y-rollyd with [th]in hond; [th]an ouer-caste thy cake ouer [th]i comade, as
it wol by-clippe hit; & with a sawcere brerde go round as [th]e comade
lyith, & kutte hem, & so he is kut & close with-al, & bake or frye it, &
[th]anne serue it forth.

My Translation:
10.  Rapeye.  Take Dough, & make thereof a broad thin cake; then take Figs
& Raisins small ground, & first seethed, And a piece of Haddock or ling
pounded withal; & take powder of Pepper, Galingale, Cloves, & mix together,
& lay thine mixture on the cake in the manner of a bean-cod, rolled with
thine hand; then cast thy cake over thy mixture, as it will embrace it; &
with a saucer rim go round as the mixture lies, & cut them, & so he is cut
& closed withal, & bake or fry it, & then serve it forth.

This is a really yummy recipe when made into appetizer or individual
serving pasties.

>Aoife---who is making a life-sized bull calf soteltie this weekend modelled
>on the pillar capitals of the Ancient Persian 100-pillar hall, for our new
>Zaroastrian Baron's investiture next weekend. But he's too cute, I may have
>to keep him. I had thought of a Persian Miniature (scenes painted in
>miniature) with a short-bread tablet-type base and the picture cut out of
>colored fruit leathers and assembled like a collage. I wonder if I still
>have time for that? Tempus fugit, y'know.

Wow!  Directions please, when you get the chance??

Cindy/Sincgiefu