SC - Fruits

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Jan 17 17:48:51 PST 1998

At 8:35 AM -0800 1/16/98, Marisa Herzog wrote:
>                      RE>SC - Fruits                               1/16/98
>
><snip>- I read or was told by someone (wish I could remember) that Pippins
>referred to a specific type of apple which is no longer available. Anyone know
>if this is true? If so, what is the best <snip>
>
>I am not sure about the rest, but Pippins are still sometimes available in the
>grocery store, tho they seem to be being pushed out by Fujis and Braeburns
>that are bigger.
>-brid

There are several varieties known as "pippen": Cox's Orange Pippen is a
famous variety from (I think) the 18th century.  Newtown Pippen is a
variety they sell around here, sometimes under its full name and sometimes
just as Pippen.  It is a hard medium-sized green apple, a little tart, good
both for pies and for eating out of hand.  How close it is to a period
pippen I don't know.

Southmeadow Fruit Gardens, 2363 Tilbury Place, Birmingham, Michigan 48009,
as of several years ago, had an enormous collection of old fruit varieties,
with a catalogue which cost $5 or $10 and was very much worth it as
information about old varieties.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook