SC - Period Dairying, Etc.

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 18 06:22:23 PST 1998

Greetings.   For the person looking for information on period dairy
practices and cheesemaking try _The English Housewife_ by Gervase
Markham, 1615.  There is a good edition out by Michael Best,
McGill-Queen's University Press, 1986, ISBN 0-7735-0582-2.  He has a
chapter on the practices that a good housewife should follow.  While I
don't believe there are "recipes" per se he does mention certain types
of cheeses and what one should do with the whey, curds, etc.

There is also another fascinating book, _The Country House Kitchen,
1650-1900_, edited by Sambrook and Brears.  While the dates indicate
OOP, this book takes some of the manors belonging to England's National
Trust and details the architectural plans and layout of the kitchens
and related rooms.  Tucked in with all the OOP material are references
to period practices.  There are numerous references to dairies and
dairying.  I don't know where one might find the book.  It is esoteric
enough that most public libraries wouldn't have it and expensive enough
that most SCAers wouldn't have it.  I have a copy, but then, I'm single
and a pack rat for books!  If there's something specific - dairy
layout, items needed for a "perfect" dairy or dairyroom, post me and I
will send what I can find, time willing.

Alys Katharine