SC - A Paste of Pippins

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Jan 18 16:02:24 PST 1998

Margritte quoted a couple of recipes for Paste of Pippens:

>To make Paste of Pippins like leaves, and some like Plums, with their
>stones, and Stalks in them.
>Take Pippins pared and cored, and cut in pieces, and boiled tender, so
>strain them, and take as much Sugar as the Pulp doth weigh, and boil it to
>a Candy height with as much Rose-water and fair water as will melt it, then
>put the pulp into the hot sugar, and let it boil until it be as thick as
>Marmalet, ...

I am fairly sure that marmelade (which, I believe, comes from a Portugese
word meaning quince) meant at this time not the citrus jam we now use the
word for but instead meant quince paste.  My sister Johanna used to make
quince paste out of a modern recipe in a book by (I think) Elizabeth David;
it came out as a stiff brown paste of a similar consistancy to fudge or to
medieval gingerbread, if you have made that. I think there is a recipe for
marmelade or quince paste in Hugh Platt's _Delights for Ladies_ (160?) that
would give you another recipe to compare, quinces being closely related to
apples; I can hunt up the recipe and type it in if you would like.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University