SC - help! - How to run a cooking symposium?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jan 19 14:49:09 PST 1998

Kat asked about cooking workshops/symposia.

1. Our typical cooking workshop is: we find out how many people are coming,
select recipes, do shopping.  People arrive, we hand them a stack of
printouts saying, "Here are the recipes, pick one."  People cook recipes,
being reminded frequently to measure everything, time everything, and write
everything down.  When something is finished, everyone tastes and comments.
(Cariadoc: "too little pepper, too much saffron!" Elizabeth: "too much
pepper, too little saffron!") What was done plus comments get recorded on
our master; copes are made for anyone who wants one to take home and play
with some more.

2. We once did a cooking symposium as an official event.  We had, as I
remember, some hands-on classes (Alys Katherine did one on sugar plate) as
well as lecture classes and discussions (how to grow period fruits and
vegetables; period Islamic cooking; how to do period food at Pennsic: three
different points of view).  Classes were out of persona/mundane clothes;
evening was in persona/in garb. We finished off with a feast by Madeleine
des Mille Roses that was a masterpiece (I use the word literally)--very
well researched, menu as well as dishes, and excellent food.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook