SC - Butter in Lent...?

margali margali at 99main.com
Tue Jan 20 06:11:18 PST 1998

> There were also indulgences, which allowed one to consume foodstuffs
> that were otherwise forbidden.  One Spanish recipe, which I
> have seen and cannot for the life of me locate, mentions that
> such-and-such a recipe containing dairy is good for Lent, if you have
> an indulgence.  And isn't there a "Butter Tower" on some French
> cathedral, said to have been financed by the sale of indulgences to
> eat butter in Lent?
>
> Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
> Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
> mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net

Yes, there is a 'butter tower', somewhere i have a snapshot of it from a
vacation I took a number of years ago. There are also dietary easements
that are not exactly indulgences, for example iirc pregnant women, the
ill and small children were allowed to breakfast before church, and
something of the sort for the same group in lent allowing an easement of
the very strict fast schedule.

margali