SC - (P?) Fish dishes and gold-leafing

Tue Jan 20 18:41:06 PST 1998

>Ok, I'm gonna show my newbie-ness and lack of knowledge here...
>
>>	Could I get away with cooking whole fish (let's say salmon, for
>argument's sake; it's >my favorite fish anyway) and gold-leafing it?  Would
>that be even remotely period?  And if >it were, anyone have any suggestions
>as to what recipe/sauce to use?
>
>Is food with gold leaf on it edible?  I would have thought it would be
>poisonous...
>
>Karla

Gold is essentially a non-reactive metal.  It should pass through the
digestive tract intact.  I wouldn't recommend eating large quantities of
it or let the revolting peasants melt it before serving it to you.

In this particular case, I think the gold is for pretty and would be
removed with the skin before eating.

Bear