SC - Gold, Silver, Etc.

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Jan 21 17:55:15 PST 1998

Alys-Katherine,

I think you are confusing homogenization with pasteurization.
Homogenization it a method of stirring the milk so thoroughly that the
cream, which is mostly butterfat, does not separate out from the body of
the milk. Pasteurization is a sterilization process which kills all the
little bacteria in the milk, and it can be done in one's own kitchen.
Non-homogenized milk may be legally sold for human consumption. here in
Ohio, anyway, but non- Pasteurized may not. Raw milk is the term for milk
fresh from the cow, which has had neither of these processes applied to it,
and I agree that most people would be better off not drinking rae milk. I
have on many occasions, but I was familiar with both the farmer and the
cow, and I would not suggest drinking it to others unless the drinker had a
similar familiarity.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
:
: Celestria wrote:
:
: >I was under the impression that in period silver leaf was the only
: >precious metal used for food decoration that was also eaten?  Also is
: >the silver and gold leaf available at the local craft store fit for
: >human consumption?
:
: Gold, silver and painted tin leaf were all used to cover or decorate
: foods (see The Viandier of Taillevent).  Others have probably posted
: about using gold and silver leaf that is NOT mixed with other metals.
: I don't know about the desirability of eating tin leaf.  Possibly it
: was pulled off the foodstuff before consumption.  Or, maybe someone ate
: it.  People ate and used things (lead in cosmetics, for example) that
: we modern folk wouldn't use.  (Minor digression - How many of us would
: actually drink raw cow's milk, presuming we could even buy it?  In
: Ohio, for example, _if_ you can find it, it is only to be fed to
: animals.  Hard to make certain the period dishes using homogenized
: milk!)
:
: Alys Katharine
: