SC - Feast and Budget planning

Thu Jan 22 20:20:49 PST 1998

>I remember people discussing Ansteorra and saying that feast was
>included with the site fee.  Are there any other Kingdoms that do this?
>Here in the Outlands we make the feast separate, and usually ask for
>reservations ahead of time so we know how many to plan on.  Also, we
>usually set a limit on how many people we will feed, and that includes
>head table, so everything can be bought ahead of time and planned out to
>the last detail.

Most Ansteorran events have the feast as a separate thing.  Steppes 12th
Night is a feast and revel, so it makes a certain amount of sense to
have the feast rolled into the site fee.  The weather was a little
better this year and Gunther talked up the feast, so of course, he got
that unexpected rise in attendence.

Most groups in Ansteorra set a limit on the number of feasters based on
seating capacity, kitchen space, and previous attendence.  Add in what
you need to cover the head table, the kitchen staff and the servers.
Plan the menu.  Create a "high dollar" budget.  Determine your break
even requirements, decide if you are going prepaid, set the fees
accordingly.  Get the front money and buy supplies "low dollar".  Pray
that you don't have an "event buster".

Reservations have a place at the table until the last call for
reservation payments, then the available seats go to the waiting list on
a first come, first served basis.

>We also need to know how much we have budgeted and how much per head we
>can spend.  I would think cooking for 250 and having 500 show up would
>be a problem to my budget and my shopping.

It is unusual to have a 25% increase in attendance at a major event.  I
would say Gunther got bit by the event's good fortune.  His experience
will make me cautious about menu planning when including the feast with
the site fee.

>How does this differ from other areas out there?
>
>Murkial af Maun

Bear