SC - Le Menagier's Mush

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Fri Jan 23 09:58:22 PST 1998

                      RE>>SC - Le Menagier's Mushr                 1/23/98

<< but I hadn't seen peeling
 recommended before... >>
<snip> When gathered from a wild setting mushrooms can contain many nasties
including maggots and beetles.  It would seem prudent to both wash and peel
them.  Alternatively, cultured mushrooms were grown in horsemanure previously
necessitating some cleaning also.<snip>

Having gone mushroom hunting many times- I have to say if the bugs are in
there- no amount of peeling is gonna help ;).  And the manure that commercial
mushrooms are grown in is sterilized not raw (not that I'd eat it by choice
anyway!).  And if you accidentally pick something that is seriously toxic, you
are sick or dead whether you peel and parboil or not- the mushrooms where heat
can kill the toxicity are not deadly "only" *very* sickening.  There have been
several deaths in the past couple years in CA of mushroom hunters- usually
immigrants from other countries who find something in the woods that "looks
like what grandma used to gather back in the old country".  Wild mushrooms are
wonderful, toxic mushrooms are probably the most horrible and absolute death
by poisoning that anybody could experience...
- -brid