SC - coffe and tea at events

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jan 23 11:48:31 PST 1998

At 11:51 AM -0500 1/23/98, LrdRas wrote:
>As a Middle Eastern persona, I find it amusing that the barbarians of the
>Northern lands seem to view coffee as if it didn't exist.  I find it
>horrifying that they do not practice the simple courtesy of offering it to
>each and every guest.  But then again, that is why they are barbarians.

A Middle Eastern persona from when? Most Middle Eastern personae in the SCA
are from before coffee went into use as a beverage outside of Abyssinia (I
distinguish from medicinal use, on which you or someone offered some
interesting evidence earlier). Is it clear that at any point prior to 1600,
the pattern of routinely offering coffee to guests had been established
anywhere? Are you sure you aren't simply projecting 19th century patterns
backwards?

>I have never attended an event where coffee and tea were not available and, in
>all honesty, probably would not if I were aware of it in advance. At the very
>least, I would bring the shire urn and find a corner to set it up in. :-)

Despite the fact that the coffee served (modern) is out of period for
everyone there, and all coffee and tea inapparopriate for all but a tiny
fraction?

If your problem is a caffein addiction, I believe there are readily
available "wakeup pills" that contain quantities of caffein comparable to
that in a cup of coffee. If you were at an event where the food and drink
provided were supposed to be in period for pre 1600 Europeans (unlikely, I
admit, but one can dream), wouldn't bringing such pills and taking them
unobtrusively be a better solution than setting up a source for out of
period drinks at the event?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/