SC - Le Menagier's Mush

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 19:05:04 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/23/98 1:03:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu writes:

<< And the manure that commercial
 mushrooms are grown in is sterilized not raw (not that I'd eat it by choice
 anyway!).   >>

True. Commercial mushrooms are NOW grown on a sterile medium. I used the past
tense in my reference to growing them before. That medium was partially
composted but NOT sterile. Some species of mushroom also contain bitter
principles that are leached out in parboiling making it palatable.

For lack of any better explanation, I still hold that my interpretation is
certainly still the most logical.

Ras