SC - Buffalo- Washington?

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 25 07:58:43 PST 1998

At 05:22 25-1-98 +0000, niccolo wrote:
>actually, there is a fairly largish population of indigenous buffalo in
European
>forest.  I'll look for recipes/references for when they proliferated where.
>They are probably distant relatives to the North American Bion, and therefore,
>probably, a reasonable substitue.

I checked *Britannica* for wisent, and was told "see bison."  The bison
article wasn't very helpful:

         The European bison, or wisent, often called the species *B[ison]
     bonasus* [the American bison is *Bison bison*), is a woods dweller,
     rangier and slightly larger than the American bison and has thicker,
     shorter, blunter horns.  It became rare by the 16th century and in
     the late 20th century survived only in a few small, managed herds.

(*Encyclopaedia Britannica*, 15th edition, Vol II, p 47. Copyright 1977 by
Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.)

The article quoted above didn't say anything about their range, but IIRC,
the surviving herds of wisent are all in Poland.  I don't recall ever
hearing anything about wild wisent in western Europe (they had aurochs -
giant cattle - instead), so Polish and Russian sources would probably be the
best bet for possible recipes.

Alasdair mac Iain

James and/or Nancy Gilly
katiemorag at worldnet.att.net