SC - Feast and Budget planning

S.Albert salbert at polarnet.com
Sun Jan 25 21:44:28 PST 1998

>Murkial af Maun said on 1/22 (yes, I'm a few days behind, but running hard to
>catch up)

>Poppa Gunthar and all those lucky people who got to attend his feast
>have been discussing the issues that had to deal with space and people.
>
>I know this has been hashed over before (for all of us old timers out
>there), but maybe a discussion on how feasts are run and prepays vs.
>feeding everyone.
>
>I remember people discussing Ansteorra and saying that feast was
>included with the site fee.  Are there any other Kingdoms that do this?
>Here in the Outlands we make the feast separate, and usually ask for
>reservations ahead of time so we know how many to plan on.  Also, we
>usually set a limit on how many people we will feed, and that includes
>head table, so everything can be bought ahead of time and planned out to
>the last detail.

I know we're different from the kingdom events, but the Oerthan coronets
are usually feast (and indeed, all meals) included in the fee. Luckily,
we're a small enough group that we can guestimate at 75-100 depending on
the time of year and location within the principality. However, it did
cause a problem a few summers ago, when the week before the event we had 10
reservations (not money, just indications they were coming) from our
Eskalyan neighbors (we knew how many local people to expect). As they are
the bulk of the principality, it made it difficult to plan very well. I had
to rattle some cages and get some people in their area poll the usuals to
confirm they were coming. Very annoying, and ultimately inflates the
overall budget.

A few coronets have had limited-seating prepaid-reservations-only Saturday
night feast, but they are generally resented and go counter to the
previously-cozy feeling of the principality when there were less people and
everyone chipped in. And I don't even want to get into the logistics of a
small-population group getting little or no help from the visitors who seem
to think their help is unneeded...

Morgana
(After two bad coronets, and whose group is deciding whether or not to bid
on a coronet again anytime in the future...)

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     salbert at polarnet.com
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     Back up my hard drive? How do I put
and a decrescent argent.        *          it in reverse?