SC - 12th Night Handout

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jan 26 08:35:35 PST 1998

> - -     Stawberry Sauce
>                 ingredients: almonds, meat broth, rice flour, strawberries,
>                 salt, cinnamon
>                 source: _Pleyn Delit_
>

> This was an excellant sauce and quite unexpected. I was expecting something
> fruity and almost didn’t try it. I didn’t want strawberry kool-aid or jelly
> on *my* meat. I ended up liking it better on the meat than the garlic sauce.
> <<<<<

This sauce was also a surprise to me. I should have put saunders or even food
coloring to make it redder. I'm glad you liked it, I didn't care for it all that
much and as I stated before would have been happier making a galyngale for it.

I don't see anything wrong with serving a sweet sauce, especially with pork. I
would probably have made a sweet to go with the garlic/pepper for people's
different tastes.

> - -     Apple Fritters
>                 ingredients: pancake mix, apples, confectioner's sugar
>                 source: _Pleyn Delit_
>

> How did you come up with pancake mix? It didn’t seem like what was
> appropriate for a fritter, either when first talked about or at the
> feast. It seemed too fluffy and mundane. But perhaps this what was originally
> intended. I need to look this one up. I have _Pleyn Delit_, now.
> <<<<<

I don't think the batter was much different from the period recipe. The period
recipe is just a basic beer batter. Since Ansteorra will not reimburse me for
any alcohol, I went for a pancake batter and put a note in the handout about what
was happening. I need to make the period recipe and compare them but I don't think
there would be that great a difference.

> - -     Mushroom Pasties

> Probably my favorite dish after the chicken bruet.

I really liked the brewet myself, but I also liked the pork & sauces, pasties,
lentils. I guess I was pretty happy with most of the food.

Oh, and I'm glad you liked the peascods. Just boil fresh green beans in salt water
and toss with melted butter.  Voila!

> Thanks.
>    Stefan

Yers,