SC - recipes (vegetarian)

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Jan 26 20:15:15 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
My favorite (so far! :)) vegetarian documented period recipe is frumenty
(barley), espeicially when served with a big scoop of funges on top.

If you have specific questions on my reconstrucions, feel free to ask away.
Oh, and if you do use these, all I ask is that you let me know (I get a
buzz off knowing people are eating my food all over the place! :))

enjoy!

FUNGES (Forme of Curye #12, c. 1399)
Take Funges and pare hem clene, and dyce hem; take leke and shred hym small
and do hym to seeth in gode broth. Colour it with safroun and do therinne
powdour fort.

1 lb mushrooms
2 leek, white and tender green bits only
2 cups Swansons brand vegetable broth
1 pinch saffron
3/4 tsp powder forte*

Wash the veggies, slice the leek finely and cut the mushrooms into chunks.
Add saffron to the broth and bring it to a boil. Add the leek, mushrooms
and spices to the broth. Simmer 20 minutres or until liquid is mostly gone.
Remove from the heat and serve with frumenty.
Serves 6.

*Powder forte:
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp ginger
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp clove
1/2 tsp grains of paradise, ground in a mortar and pestle (if you can't
find grains, add a 50/50 mix of ginger and black pepper)
Mix and store in an airtight container away from light and heat.

FRUMENTY (Diuersa Servicia #1, c. 1399)
For to make furmenty. Nym clene wete & bray it in a morter wel, that the
holys gon al of, & seyt yt til ty breste; & nym yt up & lat it kele. And
nyum fayre fresch broth & swete mylk of almandys or swete mylk of kyne and
temper yt al. & nym the yolkys of eyryn & saffron & do thereto. Boyle it a
lityl & set yt adoun, & messe yt forthe wyth fat venysoun & fresch motoun.

1 cup pearl barley
2 3/4 cups veggie broth
1/4 cup milk
pinch saffron
1 egg

Stir barley into broiling broth, along with saffron. Cover pan and cook
over very low heat 30-50 minutes. Stir in beaten egg. Stir over very low
heat for a few minutes before serving.
Serves 6.