SC - Where are you?

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Jan 28 12:33:48 PST 1998

If you discuss the matter of handling the Boar with the hunter, and find
that you're coming from the same place, fine. Boar will be a stronger
flavor than basic pork, but "gaminess" is a direct function of how properly
the animal has been prepared. One technique to reduce gaminess is to soak
the meat in vinegar and then wash. .Rapid removal of entrails, testes, and
any "special" glands attached to a game animal help lots. Do keep in mind
that since you're dealing with an omniverous animal, trichinosis is a risk,
so thourough cooking is a must.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Dear friends, as I am new to this list, let me kill many birds with one
stone.
: First, my name is Iacopo DaVizzi, & live in the Canton of Elvegast, Barony
: of Windmasters' Hill, Kingdom of Atlantia(Raleigh, NC).  My lady & I have
: only been in the Society for a little over 2 years, she enjoys garb &
: scribing, & I am involved in rapier, archery, and of course cooking.
:
:  A local event called Cossacks, Mongols, & Huns Oh MY! on march 14th will
be
: my second time running the kitchen for a feast; And I have some questions
: concerning how to plan this thing.  In Renaisance Florence there were
ideas
: about balancing a meal(textures, tastes, food types, etc), would any of
the
: cultures I will be dealing with in this feast have any similar
philosophies
: about food.  Are there any specific ways that food would be served, or
: customs or niceties to be observed.
:
: Any ideas on memu planning, or recipes will be greatly appreciated.
:
: A local society hunter, has offered to provide wild boar for the feast,
if I
: so desire.  I have no experience with this particular meat, other than to
: think of it as an exotic pig, an act accordingly.  My only reservation
with
: it is having been the victim of badly handled venison in the past, just
how
: gamey a flavor could I expect encounter with this porker.  Once again
ideas
: on cooking would be much appreciated.
:
: Ciao,