SC - rose sekanjabin/was coffee and tea

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Jan 29 22:55:49 PST 1998

Both Crystal and Cat seem to be using "sekanjabin" at least part of the
time as a generic term for a family of syrup drinks. As Crystal points out,
the recipe in _Manuscrito Anonimo_ is titled "Simple Sekanjabin." On the
other hand, the chapter it is in contains lots and lots of recipes for
drinks of the same general sort (make a syrup of sugar or honey or
something similar, immerse some source of flavor in it, let it cool, dilute
in hot or cold water), and none of the others is called "sekanjabin."

The only uses of the term I have evidence for are sugar+vinegar and
honey+vinegar (_Manuscrito Anonimo_) and sugar+vinegar+mint (modern
Persian). So while I don't know exactly where the line is drawn between
"sekanjabin" and other drinks in the family, I don't think the term applies
to all of them. It seems to have been a very familiar drink in period--one
of the period recipes refers to something as "the sekanjabin of dishes."

If anyone has more information on the terminological issue, please provide.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/