SC - coffe and tea at events

Ron Martino Jr yumitori at marsweb.com
Fri Jan 30 14:24:05 PST 1998

Haifuku!

> If you have a good way to recreate something, cheaply, Great!
> Teach those who are able to learn what you know, if you wish.
> But do not criticise those who do not have the time or resources
> (monetary, geographic, or otherwise) to do the same.
>

> Brandu

	This is unfair, I think. I have seen folks on this list try and
encourage more authenticity, or a reduction in inauthentic materials or
methods, but this is not at all the same as demanding perfection.

	During this discussion, which started with beverages at events, I have
seen folk (not necessarily you) argue that if they could not afford (in
time and/or money) a historical solution to a problem, then a nonperiod
one should be acceptable. I do not have the money nor land to own a
horse, but I do not make do with a hobby horse on a broomstick nor a
couple of coconut halves. While most of the suggested inauthentic
solutions are not so silly, many of them do have the commonality of
being nonessential. I do not /need/ a horse, however much I would like
one. Similarly, it is not necessary to have some replacement beyond
water for period drinks. If you can not grow your own produce, you may
be able to find someone who can. If that too fails to meet your needs,
and it is still beyond your means to purchase the ingredients, then
consider finding a recipe you /can/ make authentically. No one will
think less of you for it...

	Yumitori