SC - Rehashing tho'ts on allergies and menus

MdePeyriac at aol.com MdePeyriac at aol.com
Fri Jan 30 21:18:47 PST 1998

<< So far as addictions go, I do not cook with any special preparation for
those
 individuals.  If they do not want to eat a dish that has had wine cooked in
it
 as an ingredient that is there loss but I will not leave it out if it is an
 essential ingredient in the recipe which is freely available for reading well
 ahead of the time it will be served. >>

      As a recovering alcoholic (14 years sober), I don't mind dishes made
with wine, even though that was my drug of choice.  The alcohol cooks out, in
most instances, and leaves the wonderful taste behind.  I have been known, on
occasion, to indulge in desserts soaked rum or brandy, etc., but for me that's
a little more risky.  What my sponsor told me was that as long as I didn't
'think' that eating things with alcohol in them made me believe I could handle
drinking again, I was probably okay.  I'm well aware that not everyone feels
comfortable with this line of thinking.  Most of my 12 step program thought I
was looking to use again when I started playing SCA because I was around
people who indulged.  Events only re-emphasis to me why I quit.  There's
really not much temptation in that.  What's hard are the small gathering of
friends with a new bottle to try.
      Anyway, the point is, I wouldn't expect any one to add/subtract
ingredients for me.  On a large scale, I don't do so for others, I just make
sure they have other things to choose.

                                                Melusine