SC - brewing/mazing/etc

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Fri Jan 2 02:42:29 PST 1998

>     Hummmm, a tangent query here--what's the basic proccess for making
soda?
> I've heard it mentioned before and could make a few decent guesses, but
don't
> know the details. It sounds like a fun project........ ;-)
>
>      Ldy Diana

If you brew, its a piece of cake.  This is not the end all of soda making,
but here's what we do, and the results:

Sanitize everything just like for a batch of beer, mead etc.  Boil 5 gal of
water to sterilize it, cool it down to at least 95 F for the yeastie
beasties (whoever thanked me for that one, some other fine gentle coined
it, I just stole it:-) dissolve your sugar (no, not Louise, typically 10
cups white sugar, jeez!) and extract and yeast.  We use champagne yeast as
directed by the supplier of our extracts.  For some reason, it doesn't
convert the sugar to alcohol, it just carbonates the stuph.  bottle it in 2
litre soda bottles you've saved and sanitzed and wait.  In theory, its
ready to drink in 2-7 days, but smalls are impatient, so mine put a bottle
in the fridge right away and drink it.  So far we have brewed 2 root beers,
a ginger ale and 2 cream sodas.  The stuph always tastes great when you
bottle it, but then something happens.  The first cream soda didn't turn
out at all, the first root beer was nasty for about 2 weeks, then real good
for about a month, then nasty, or so says my 10 year old root beer
afficianado.  Me, I can't stand the stuph.  The ginger ale was nasty for
about 3 weeks, and then became the best we've ever tasted, still good
today.  It's like Vernors as opposed to Canada dry, but better.  The second
batch of root beer is now a week old and not yet fit to drink, so I'm told.
 Second batch of cream soda has not yet been tested.

In service, Puck