SC - Fw: [Mid] In Memory Of Jafar

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Jan 4 04:47:53 PST 1998

Apologies to those who mistakenly received the earlier posting. Following
is the message I meant to send to those who are interested.

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Date: Saturday, January 03, 1998 16:44:34
: From: Ernie Husted
: To: sca-middle at april.dnaco.net
: Cc: spot at dnaco.net
: Subject: [Mid] In Memory Of Jafar
:
:
: My wife and I have just returned from Jafar's funeral.  I had wanted to
: share some of the feelings, observations and thoughts I had.  I hope this
: helps those who could not attend to feel like they were a part of this
day.
:
: *  We arrived at the funeral home at 9:35 a.m. and the parking lot was
: already about filled.  Soon the lot and side street were packed with cars.
:
: *  The downstairs lobby of the funeral home had standing room only with
: people lined up in the doorway unable to enter.  A large group of people
: were outside.
:
: *  This may have been one of the largest gatherings of Middle Kingdom
folks
: in mundane clothing in history.
:
: *  It is hard to recognize some of the S.C.A. folks in suits and mundane
: clothing.  The trick was to just look at their face to realize where you
: had seen them.
:
: *  The ceremony was held downstairs with the Society folk all going
: upstairs.  Upstairs there was one large room with a smaller room off to
the
: left.  There were 200 people seated in the chairs with about 40 standing.
: The smaller side room had 30 or so.
:
: *  The sound system that was transferring upstairs what was going on
during
: the service was very poor.  There was only a single speaker in the
ceiling.
: Some of the loud background hum stopped when some of the overhead lights
: were turned off.
:
: *  For such a large group of people, you could have heard a pin drop as
: everyone strained to listen.  Some of the service was heard while some was
: lost.  Everyone in the room was there for a single purpose.
:
: *  Late in the service, another speaker was added to the room, which
helped
: some.  It was a nice speaker but the room was very large.
:
: *  The room become very warm until the air conditioning was turned on.
: This new noise level didn't help.  Folks with normal hearing may have
heard
: more than me.
:
: *  There were so many cars going to the grave site that they ran out of
the
: purple funeral flags you put on your car.
:
: *  The drive to the grave site seemed much longer due to the amount of
cars
: in the procession.  Along the way folks stopped on the street or looked
out
: from their house at the procession.  The line of cars went from as far as
: you could see in front all the way out of sight in the back.
:
:
: *  The traffic escort did a fine job trying to make sure the drive there
: was as safe as possible.
:
: *  I asked one of the traffic escort how many cars were in the procession.
: He told me 110 plus.  They had been expecting 60 to 80.
:
: *  At the grave site the family was in a tent while the Society folks
: formed up in a half moon in front.  The Society folks waited quietly
: outside the tent until the family had said there last good-byes.  Then the
: Society folks slowly, quietly and reverantly passed by and said their last
: farewells.  There were flowers given out and folks laid them on the
coffin.
:
: *  The cemetery was smaller and very old.  It had a small river/stream
: bordering the one side.  It was a beautiful site.
:
: *  The day was overcast but not to cold.  When the service was over and
: folks were walking back to their cars the sun broke through and shone
down.
: It seemed appropriate.
:
: *  I saw all the qualities that I love about the S.C.A. in practice today.
: Everyone was helpful, courteous and caring.  There was a mix of peers and
: older members as well as newer folks.
:
: *  Jafar's family treated the S.C.A. as part of his extended family.  I
had
: one of his family come up and just talk with me and express the family's
: gratitude for all the Society had done.
:
: *  The folks at the funeral home did a great job handling perhaps one of
: the largest groups of people they had ever had.
:
: *  The handout at the funeral (I started to say flyer) had a picture of
: Jafar taken in 1986.  He pretty much looked the same now as he did then.
: The smile and twinkle in his eyes was there.
:
: *  I served Jafar when he was the Earl Marshal as well as King.  I will
: miss him very much.  I am glad I was able to go to the funeral and say my
: good-bye.  Now I, along with the rest of the Kingdom, must figure out how
: to best serve Kenna.
:
:
:
:
:
: Erik Erikson the Scout          Potius Feodari Quam Morti
:                                 "Better Dirty Than Dead"
:
:
: From:  ernie at dnaco.net (Ernie Husted)
: +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+    to unsubscribe, send a message to
: `~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`    sca-middle-request at dnaco.net with
: .  |  |     |  |     |  |     |  |          'unsubscribe' as its body.