SC - Couple of questions for ya'll...

Tara Sersen ladycharissa at geocities.com
Sun Jan 4 09:12:30 PST 1998

Greetings!

OK, I have some questions for everyone.  The first is to settle a
discussion a friend and I had a few weeks ago.  We were discussing the
ingredient sugar in period recipies.  It occured to us that the first
time we can recall hearing about sugar cane is in the New World,
particularly in terms of rum production.  Neither of us could think of
any period reference for molassas or rum.  So, we figured that the sugar
being called for might be beet sugar.  If we're right, then very late
period might have used cane sugar, but not earlier periods.  Does anyone
know what is right?

The second question goes back to the discussion on wrapping onions in
aluminum foil and throwing them in the fire pit.  That sounds wonderful,
btw, and I can't wait to try it- I love onions :)  I've been using the
'wrap it in foil, throw it in the coals and forget about it for a while'
method of cooking for ages, and do it very well, if I must say so myself
;)  But, I think it's a pretty safe bet that there was no reynolds wrap
in the middle ages, so it's probably not a particularly period cooking
method.  So, lets spur a discussion on open pit cooking in other than
the ubiquitous Dutch Oven.

Thanks!

Marjorie
Shire of Eisental, East Kingdom
Mountain Confederation
Fox Clan

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/1258
For you and I are one-way ticket
Holders on that one-way street
Which lies across a golden valley
Where the waters of joy and hope run deep.