SC - Wine

CorwynWdwd CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 11:33:14 PST 1998

>what did they do in period, and did they even HAVE wine bottles at all in
period?

Wrong question. What you wanted to ask was did they have CORKS in period...
and the survey says: Late period in most of Europe. Through most of period I'm
given to understand tarred rags were used to stopper stoneware bottles. The
ones I've seen pictures of looked sorta like a Black Tower bottle. The corks
were introduced from Spain later.

I don't have the references at hand at the moment, but I'll look for them if
you like.

Corwyn