SC - Modern English - O

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Mon Jan 5 16:51:22 PST 1998

                      RE>>SC - Modern English - OT                 1/5/98

<snip>Wales is Cymru, and the language is Cymeric (if I remember the spellings
correctly), not Gaelic.  The Irish are Gaels as are the Scots, who take their
name from the Scotia (sic?), a pack of Irish sea rovers who invaded Hibernia
about the time Julius Caesar landed in Britain.
Bear
=
But in modern linguistics all the "celtic" languages are lumped together as
Gaelic- welsh included.  And I think originaly gael was an Irish word for
"stranger" and refered to the viking and other marauders.
- -brid
(not quite remembering her linguistics from college)