SC - Modern English - OT

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 5 21:22:17 PST 1998

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 18:09:45 -0600
> From: "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
> Subject: RE: SC - Modern English - OT
>
> >These languages were germanic, and the british
> >language of the celts they pushed into wales and the north (welsh is an
> >anglo-saxon word meaning foreigner!) were displaced. Those celtic british
> >languages, along with Irish, go under the catch-all name Gaelic.
> >
> >Charles Ragnar
>
> Wales is Cymru, and the language is Cymeric (if I remember the spellings
> correctly), not Gaelic.  The Irish are Gaels as are the Scots, who take
> their name from the Scotia (sic?), a pack of Irish sea rovers who
> invaded Hibernia about the time Julius Caesar landed in Britain.
>
> Bear

Agreed! Them's fightin' words, good my lord. Or, to employ the supposed
local accent of my homeland, "Dem's fightin' woids!" I'd be really
afraid of telling a Cornishman or a Breton that he was speaking Gaelic.
They'd like that even less than the Scots appreciate the English
referring to their Scots-accented English as "Scotch".

Please forgive the presumption, noble Lord Bear, but I think you might
be confusing Hibernia with Caledonia. The Scots came from Hibernia to
Caledonia around the time of which you speak, I think. Otherwise we are
in perfect agreement. Well, except that Caesar never really got a foot
on British soil. Seems those pesky Britons mined the Thames ;  ). Now
Claudius, on the other hand...

Adamantius
troy at asan.com