SC - Modern English - OT

Varju Varju at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 07:33:59 PST 1998

<< Wales is Cymru, and the language is Cymeric (if I remember the spellings
 correctly), not Gaelic.  >>

They are from the same language group,  Welsh is from an earlier branch than
Irish or Scottish.  As for Cornish and Breton, they fall into the same
language group, Cornish being about the same time as Welsh, and Breton being
much earlier.  If I remember right, the Irish, Welsh and Cornish were all
decendants of the original Celtic settlers in the region, but their languages
diverged after arrival due to distance.  Scottish gaelic is decended from
Irish, because the Scots were Irish settlers in Hibernia.  Breton is
considered to be the oldest branch of the Celtic language group.  (The Breton
love this because it allows them to keep from being absorbed by the French.)

My memory of the details is a bit hazy, but that is the gist of what i learned
in linguistics all those years ago.

Noemi