SC - Mongols and Huns

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Jan 6 04:21:50 PST 1998

Conchobar of Kamrun asked:

Y'know, I've heard of this before.  But only now, only now has it
resounded to the notion of Huns(?) or Mongols(?) preparing food
on horseback; was it the stuff in the jug that sloshed to make
butter or somesuch, or the meat under the saddle?

I believe you may be thinking of the Mongols and kumiss. I believe
they would tie a bag of mare's milk to their saddles and the bouncing
helped create the alcoholic drink kumiss. For more info there is a
file on kumiss in my files.

You can have the kumiss. I’ll take the fresh butter. Hmm, although
since the Mongols, if they had butter, would have gotten it from
mare’s milk, perhaps you can have the butter, too.

Stefan li Rous