SC - Byzantine Cooking (Long)

Tue Jan 6 08:08:07 PST 1998

Your pardon, but I am in error on some points and imprecise in my
phrasing on others.  I lost some of my notes in a disk crash and I was
working from my faulty memory.  I located a hard copy of some of my
notes this morning.

The utensils I mentioned in this post  are from the 14th and 15th
century.  They become more elaborate toward the end of the 15th Century
and more common in the 16th and 17th Centuries.

Uker places coffee as a drink about 1300 CE, but general introduction
and the attendent riots and civil problems is early 16th Century, rather
than the 11th Century I stated.  He places the general use of coffee in
Arabia to about 1450 with it moving northward along the Red Sea to Mecca
and Medina about 1470 and Cairo about 1510.

The physician Rhazes refers to bunca or bunchum (coffee) about 900 CE
and Avicenna describes its medicinal properties about 100 years later,
so the odds are that it was primarily a medicinal herb until somewhere
late in the 13th Century.

A point I need to check is a note I have that the first coffee house in
Constantinople is the Kiva Han opened in 1475.  Uker places the first
coffee houses in Constantinople in 1554 being opened by Shemsi of
Damascus and Hekem of Aleppo.  The introduction of coffee to
Constantinople may be either 1453 or 1517, depending on the veracity of
the sources.

One of these years, I need to do a paper, just to sort out my opinions
and present them with supporting documentation.  Maybe it will be long
enough to sell as a book. :-)

Bear