SC - OT Octane was brewing

Gedney, Jeff Gedney at executone.com
Wed Jan 7 08:51:43 PST 1998

hmmm....
this is dredging up old science courses I thought long buried, but...

I thought "Octane" was a reference to the "Carbon Ring" structure of the
petrol.
As I understood it, an Octane ring has eight carbon atoms and is
"chained" together in strings of varying numbers of rings. So a "93
octane" fuel has chains of octane rings, 93 rings long in each molecule.
the more rings, the more carbon atoms available for combustion per
molecule. Hence more power and sustained combustion at high compression,
resulting in less "knocking" ( predetonation ) in a "piston" engine.
The process of refining gasoline is done by "crack" refining, this uses
a catalyst to break ("crack") the longer octane chains of the unrefined
petroleum at specified points, and selectively distill off the various
fuels produced in a "stepped" distillation process.

A "hexane" ring has six atoms. I think that most "natural gas" fuel is
hexane based.
I understand that there are pentanes and heptanes, as well.

Brandu