SC - re: table manners

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Jan 7 11:46:57 PST 1998

Charles/Ragnar writes:

> How do folks set out tables, and eat and stuff at feasts (you know-the
> nitty gritty of it all)

> We tend to have a bowl, plate and glass/goblet/horn as well as a knife
> and spoon if we are really well kitted out. But the basic is usually a
> bowl and a knife (horn and knife for some ;), which is regarded as
> sufficient for two people, with a trencher. This assumes they are good
> friends.
> Since I tend to be busy in the kitchen, I usually share a place with my
> wife. Sometimes I have my own plate, or trencher, sometimes not.

>> another thing i have read of that my hub and i do is share one place
>> setting, which was also done in period, and at one time i was sitting at
>> high table in atlantia, and wasnt really planning to be on board so all
>> i could scrounge was a bowl and a roll of paper towels, and i
>> scandalized a number of people because i ate and drank everything from
>> my bowl, put my meats and other things on a trencher of bread and used
>> my fingers and a knife.

>> margali

<hee hee hee>  Every time my husband (undetermined persona as yet) and I (a 12th-century Irishwoman or Saxon, depending on what garb was clean) attempt the perfectly period practice of sharing a "trencher" or plate, we inevitably inspire someone or other to go around borrowing feast gear for us till we have "enough."  No one seems to understand that sometimes we WANT to eat with our fingers and share a plate and bowl...

	- kat