SC - OT Octane was brewing - off topic

Tara Sersen ladycharissa at geocities.com
Wed Jan 7 14:53:40 PST 1998

>> Octane is the primary ingredient in what I call petrol, but most of
you
>> folks would call gas or gasoline - it is more than 95% in decent
fuel.
>> Adding it to a brew from an airlock would probably affect the
flavour,
>> given the small quantity. But it would not be good in an airlock - it

>> would evaporate.
                                        <snip>
> I'll pobablyget castigated for continuing this, but my all three of my

> Mustangs are screaming bloody murder right about now:-)
> Actually, octane is a measure of a fuel's resistance to premature
> detonation.

2MACH4U, Puck
==============

They can castigate us both, then, Puck ;)

Actually, you're both right:  Octane is an organic molecule- 8 carbons
in a chain with 18 hydrogens.  It's the ideal molecule for use in
combustion engines because it dosen't go pop prematurely- or too late.
So, the perfect gasoline would be 100% octane.  However, it would take a
rediculous amount of refining to get gasoline to be all octane, and then
it wouldn't stay that way because some of the molecues would break apart
and reform into other things.  So, "Octane" in reference to gas is
mostly really octane molecules.  But, the "rating" implies that it is 94
or 98 or whatever percent octane molecules, and in reality, the
proportion of octane is much lower- the gasoline just ACTS as if it were
that percentage real octane.  btw... if your car is knocking, it's
because it's misfiring- try increasing or decreasing the "Octane" you're
using!

- --
Marjorie, who managed to walk away from organic chem with exactly that
much knowledge ;)
(I lie... I also remember the endings that are useful for crossword
puzzles ;)
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/1258
For you and I are one-way ticket
Holders on that one-way street
Which lies across a golden valley
Where the waters of joy and hope run deep.