SC - re: OOP - carbonating beverages

Rodney K Zeigler zeig0006 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Jan 7 20:08:19 PST 1998

Kat spoke thusly:

> Milady, I believe you are referring to the notorious "Whippit," a nitrous
> oxide (NO2) cartridge.

Not to do that chemistry thing again, but in light of the fact that I think
I can hang on the topic, whereas I am FAR outclassed in the culinary
section, here goes. Nitrous oxide is NO. NO2 is nitrogen dioxide, which,
upon ingestion, would react with the water in the mucosa lining the
alimentary tract (did I mention I'm pre-med :-) ?)to form nitric
acid,resulting in one bloody great case of heartburn.

Kent (I synthesize better than I cook, but wouldn't want to eat some of it)