SC - Oup kitchens and food banks

Cathy Harding charding at nwlink.com
Fri Jan 9 10:36:02 PST 1998

 Speaking from the soup kitchen side (I was on the board of directors for one
 in Anchorage), what soup kitchens and food banks will or can accpect can
 be very different.  The soup kitchen I was involved with can take food
 trays, prepared or frozen food as well as canned and perserved food.  This
 is because the kitchen serves two meals every day of the week.  Food banks
 don't generally serve meals they are a distibition center and have to store
 food for  periods of time.

 If you are doing a feast and think that you might have leftovers, I would
 encourage you to speak to your local food bank or soup kitchen before the
 feast to see what their rules and or limitations are.

 At the soup kitchen we welcomed most donations (as well as volunteer time.)

 Cathy/Maeve