SC - "Paul's Epistle to the East Irish."

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 10 06:34:08 PST 1998

At 04:41 10-1-98 +0000, Adamantius wrote:
>Hmm. Had a college professor, a lovely man by the name of Lonnigan, who
>taught Irish studies. I believe it was a class on Ireland and the
>Vikings that he realized there was a young lady in the class whose name
>was something like Ahiroshi Ohara, and clearly of Japanese descent.
>
>We all theorized the existence of a proto-Celtic Central Asian clan
>named O'Hara, who had been exiled, for some unknown offense against the
>community, to the Island Off the Edge of the World. Apparently this clan
>wasn't known for decisiveness, so one branch of clan Ohara went East,
>and one went West, but both went to The Island Off the Edge of the
>World, providing Oharas for both Ireland and Japan.

One of the Japanese admirals during WWII was named Hara.  I recall reading a
book in which the author referred to "the Japanese admiral with the Irish name."

In a crude attempt at forcing this on topic 8), I'll say that I definitely
prefer the Irish cuisine to the Japanese....  (I think we discussed this
once already, though it could have been the Eastrealm list, and in either
case I don't recall the outcome - do we have any sources for period cookery
in Ireland?)

Alasdair mac Iain

James and/or Nancy Gilly
katiemorag at worldnet.att.net