SC - almond milk

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Jan 12 23:04:05 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Stephan says re: almond milk:

> Another question just occured to me. Has anyone ever charted the fast
> days when almond milk was used instead of animal milk? What happens
> if you stop milking your livestock during these times? Does the milk
> dry up? Or were these times when the milk wasn’t generally available
> anyway? Or would they have continued milking the animals and just
> thrown out the milk (which I doubt) or make products that would
> keep such as cheese?

what milk you have in the spring when animals would freshen would likely be
for raising the young to weaning age. Any extra could easily be made into
cheese or butter, which could then be used after lent.

> Earlier on this list it was mentioned that there was a market for
> unborn rabbits during lent because they weren’t considered meat.

what exactly was the source of this information? I have never seen a recipe
in a medieval cookbook that used fetal rabbits. In fact, the lenten menus
I've seen in Chiquart, as well as the English sources use fish/marine
mammals exclusively during lent.

Always willing to hear about new source material,
- --Anne-Marie