SC - Titles for Cooks

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Jan 14 10:46:12 PST 1998

Ras wrote:
>We have hashed and rehashed the subject of what to call the "feast-o-crat"
>before.  In fact, it has been discussed to death.  However, I agree 100
>percent with poster's sentiments with regard to what the person in charge of
>the should NOT be called.
>
>In many peoples minds, even today, the cook is placed somewhere between the
>janitor and the garbage man.  That is why I use and will continue to use the
>term "feastocrat".  It sounds pretentious and unwieldy BUT until a term is
>chosen that describes the functions of the person in charge of a feast with
>the same flair and authority that other SCA terms reflect, such as autocrat,
>knight's marshal, herald, Chronicler, Chancellor Minor or even, horror of
>horrors, Troll, there is little choice but to use the more awkward term.

Personally, I prefer Chef de Cuisine (thank-you, Adamantius, for suggesting
that elegant title). Oddly enough, since I have found myself using this
title, I find that in my kitchens, when it's my turn to be "Chef", I really
am the "Chef".....others take from me the job of doing much of the feast,
following my directions and recipes and allowing me to supervise the many
procedures happening simultaneously. Naturally, I insist on getting my hands
in the goo, too. Otherwise it would be no darned fun.

This does raise a question---I should know the answer, but I don't.The word
"Chef" is male---what's the female equivalent in French?

Aoife