SC - kat's pate --OOP

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Jan 14 11:47:42 PST 1998

Good gentles, since you asked so nicely:

(This recipe, btw, is adapted from my best friend's mom's adaptation of something she cut out of the newspaper in 1970-something.  It is definitely not even remotely period, although serving organ meat IS period.)

For each 1 lb. of chicken livers:

	4-5 shallots, minced
	1-2 small tart apples (pippins are great), diced
	1/2 to 3/4 lb. butter, room temp, NOT melted
	2 tbsp. brandy
	3-4 tbsp. heavy cream
	About 1/4 (or more) tsp. nutmeg
	White pepper

Rinse livers well, then pick them over and toss anything that looks funky.  Drain them and pat them dry with paper towels.  Saute the onions in a tiny bit of the butter until they are just golden.  Then saute the apples till soft.  (You can do them together but the cooking times are a bit different.)  Then, in the same pan, saute the livers in a tiny bit more butter, about 5 minutes or till done.  You don't want them crispy, but cooked through and nicely browned.  The recipe at this point calls for you to throw the brandy on the livers and flame it; but my pans just aren't up to that, so I just simmer a bit till most of the alcohol is lost.

Set all the cooked items aside to cool for a few minutes.  In the meantime, grate your nutmeg, measure your cream and cut up the rest of your butter.  When the livers are closer to room temp, throw everything into the food processor (or in a bowl, and whip out your Braun handblender and go to town.)  Process till smooth and creamy.  Pour into a WELL-buttered mold, cover tightly and refrigerate.  1 lb. of livers will make approx. 2 lbs. of pate.

That's all there is to it.  People swoon over this and are always asking me for the recipe.  Enjoy!