SC - Brandy

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Wed Jan 14 13:44:35 PST 1998

>As far as distilled mead, I don't know. Perhaps it would be called a honey
>Brandy?

I've never seen anything commercial that could be called Honey Brandy, or
Mead Brandy.  I have _concentrated_ mead by freezing (which is legal, while
distillation for non-fuel purposes is _not_!) and removing the water ice.
It's quite heady when you're done, and comes in at around 40 proof.  Won't
quite burn, but you occasionally get a flicker of flame if you try.  The
flavour is incredible, to say the least.

There was a Polish liqueur that I once sampled, but the name escapes me.  I
was in Europe at the time.  Mead it was not, though it claimed to be based
on honey and contained various spices, but was more of a cough syrup than a
drink.  About an ounce was all you could possibly stand, it was so cloying.

It did make an admirable cough syrup, though......slept like a baby!

Eoin